Five reasons I don't know if I want kids

For people that know me well, this might be weird. I've always thought I wanted children...and at least three. However, as I've got older it seems the appeal is fading. I've noticed more people my age now having children, talking about having children and so on. I've even got the age where people are saying to me 'Before you have children make sure you...'. I think I often forget that I'm at an age where a lot of people are having children/would have already had them and sadly I think it's still expected of women to have children..but for me I'm not so sure and here's a few reasons why.

1. I like time to myself - By this I mean, I quite happily could spend hours alone..days, I could probably even do weeks without talking to anyone and I'd be fine. I don't mind my own company, I always find things to do and honestly I love curling up in a ball in bed with a good book and a cup of tea.

2. I like money. I don't have a lot of money left at the end of the month now anyway so if I had a child (or two, or three....) how on earth am I meant to budget, or like have a life? I don't want to be the parent that has to say no all the time because we can't afford it.

3. I'm scared of how they could turn out. Oooh, deep. Honestly though, what if they turn out to be a little shit? Then what do I do?

4. I like to sleep. Now having been a student not that long ago my sleeping pattern was lets say..questionable. Now, working the hours and times I do my sleeping pattern is what I'd say is pretty normal of an adult. I don't function all that well when this gets messed up and even though now a lie in to me is anything after 7am...I would like to be able to continue that luxury a bit longer!

5. I don't want to ruin my pelvic floor muscles and wet myself when I laugh, cry or jump too much. I've heard way too many stories about people wetting themselves after having children just because it isn't all how it once was down there. This idea literally terrifies me. I already have bladder issues and adding this to how I already am is not an appealing thought! Another point, while we're on about toilet behaviours...I don't want to have a poo whilst giving birth. I know a lot of people do it and I mean I kinda get why but just eww gross.

Comments