Why job hunting is full of bullshit


I wouldn't say I'm the most amazing person at anything really. I've not got amazing selling skills, customer service skills, art skills, etc etc. To be completely truthful I'm pretty average at most things that employers are looking for. I've worked in a few different areas of work and that's all in my favour but when it actually comes down to the nitty gritty I find it hard to stand out in a crowd.

Employers are completely and utterly unrealistic. I absolutely hate hate hate HATE when in an advert for a job that's only a few hours you're basically told you must be available all the time. It's completely and utterly stupid and asking too much. It makes having more than one job almost impossible for someone like me who is on only a four hour contract and could easily work another job.

My degree gets me nowhere. Yes, I have a degree but in the case of the majority of applications I'm doing that's completely irrelevant. It's frustrating that so many jobs means I can't use my job - I know that's what I wanted at one point but I don't think that's a forever thing. It also scares me that if I'm out of the field for too long it may be impossible for me to get back in.

My degree makes me over qualified. This is due to some of the jobs I have been applying for. A lot of places won't take on someone who has a degree because they're worried they'll leave. It just means that so many jobs I'll be not even looked at for when I might be able to do the job well.

People do not get back to you. This is one of the things that pisses me off the most. If somewhere when I apply for the job says I might not hear from them due to lots of applicants, then that's fine. However, when you actually get to interview and then are told you'll hear either way then don't, well I consider that unprofessional and to be honest plain rude.

Comments

  1. I can relate to your experiences of employers having long list of qualifications and very high standards. I was recently looking for employment. At times, I felt like it was me that wasn't good enough for the job but then I realized that there is just a lot of competition. Hang in there, something great will come your way!

    Marlon Stevens @ Invero Group

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment