Life - Finding a house

I always thought a house wouldn't be something that's too difficult to find. I wanted a three double bedroom house/flat nearby to rent. I'm not wanting a three bed house to myself by the way! I'm living with two friends I met through my course.

Before we went on holiday a three bed flat was added to the market on a familiar road so we went to view it. But we were a few minutes late (traffic) and by the time we got there, there was noone there. We rearranged the viewing and when we got to actually see the flat I was so disappointed. I knew it was going to be small as it was a flat above a shop, but it was so small. Two of the bedrooms were an okay size, but the third only had a single bed in and was obviously being used as a dump room. The bathroom was literally a shower and toilet in a cupboard in the wall and although the living and kitchen area weren't tiny, they weren't what I'd expect or want with three of us living there.

We then went off on holiday thinking we'd just sort things when we got back as viewing anywhere was too close to other things happening. I came back from holiday with serious holiday blues - I mean look at the view, who couldn't miss that?!


The next place was supposed to be a furnished three bed terrace house in an area a bit closer to town. When we arrived the house we were shown around wasn't actually the property we had seen pictures of. Next door was what we had seen but had already been let. The next surprise - no furniture. The person showing us around blamed the mistake on 'fat fingers'. I really liked the actual house, to me it had a lot of potential and was a good price. We asked about furnishing the house as that's how it was listed and were told the landlord would have to be contacted and asked. We were told this would be communicated back to us and as far as I was concerned that was fine and if everything went to plan..that was the one. Whilst we were there, we were also shown around a house that was let per room with all bills etc included. This was after a discussion about how little time we had left on our current contracts. This house was similar to the one we had been shown around except it was actually furnished and had a bigger garden. Due to it's price I was more excited about the first property as I thought we could do things cheaper ourselves. The day after we viewed the house I rang the guy back who had shown us around to see if there was any update. There wasn't and I'm still yet to hear from him after over two weeks. Although waiting to hear wad frustrating for a while, I'm glad we didn't end up with them as if a call to say sorry we can't do that for you takes over two weeks I hate to think how long it'd take to sort anything with the house!

And so we come to the most recent viewing we had. Again, furnished, three bedrooms and near the area we know and have come to love over our years at university. This time we were at the point where as long as there was nothing seriously wrong with the place we needed to sign the papers and run with it! This all happened a week tomorrow. We were getting so close to our contracts ending that I was really worried, however when we got inside I was actually pleasantly surprised. There was actually four bedrooms, so we have a spare room when people want to come and stay, the living room is pretty nice, kitchen is definitely a good size and even the bathroom looks good. All the bedrooms are a decent size (to get a double bed, a wardrobe and a chest of drawers in at least). As soon as we had finished looking around we were like we want it - it's a good job we said there and then, as there were more viewings scheduled for that day and the day after! We paid an admin fee to take it off the market and as we speak things are still being processed. As long as everything goes to plan, we are get the keys on Wednesday and I'm SO excited!

Having a house sorted means a proper address, a base camp and that I am definitely staying in Hull...I know it's what I've been saying for a while but all this makes it SO real. Now I just need to sort a job and things will be all good!


Comments