Book Review - John Green, Paper Towns


After reading and loving The Fault in Our Stars last summer I was really looking forward to reading another one of John Green's books. I was also excited as I know this is being made into a film (I think it's just come out in America) and so that made me think it'd be good.

The story follows a teenage boy who gets roped into an adventure with the girl next door. The next day at school she doesn't turn up - it's not the first time she's gone away on her own but this time it's different. She's away for longer and so clues she has left behind are followed to try and find her.

However, I was a little disappointed with this book. It was okay, and there were a lot of good phrases for example 'That's always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people would want to be around someone because they're pretty. It's like picking your breakfast cereals based on colour instead of taste.' I absolutely totally agree with those two sentences so much. People focus way too much on what people look like and to me vanity is not an attractive trait in a person.

I liked generally the concept of the book and I do think the ending has potential however, I feel it could have been written in a better way and the second half of the book did drag a little.

I'd give this book a rating of 6 out of 10.

Comments