O - Obese

Hearing the word often summons negative thoughts for people and despite the fact that possibly in a medical view there are negative side effects for some people I am determined to remove the stigma and the way people think when they hear the word obese.

I am obese according to my BMI - another thing I am skeptical on. BMI although it has been used to years is not a reliable way to determine what is actually going on in your body. My BMI actually puts me close to the morbidly obese category, I know I'm big and I know I look big however in the grand scheme of things I can't help but think I'm not THAT big...am I?!

Obese is a word to describe the amount of weight we carry compared to 'normal'. I want it to stop being used a derogatory as when it's used in it's proper way I'm more than happy with it. Another thing that annoys me is when I say I'm obese and someone says 'No, you aren't'. Well, yes...I am and I'm okay with that. I'm as much obese as I am female (and I promise I AM female!).

I hate the way that so many words have negative things related to them. Since when did using words that way become okay instead of just using words how they are supposed to be used?

Comments