C - Calorie Counting

If you have ever read a post I've written you'll probably know that my weight is a constant battle. Over the past three months I've been trying out a few different ways to lose weight and eat more healthily.

I began by doing the 5:2 diet. I loved it to start with and I got on really well. When I properly stuck to it I could lose 5 pounds in a week but then I started making excuses. Nights out happened which are sooo many calories and make you wanna eat so I was constantly trying to make up for these. A fast day basically counter acted a night out and so I was just maintaining my weight. Not a bad thing but now what I wanted!

I then tried to just calorie count and stay 300 or more calories below my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure - what you need to consume to maintain your weight) but I found this difficult, my heart wasn't really in it!

Calorie counting, weighing what I was eating, prepping portions etc etc became too much of an obsession for a while and so when I came home for Easter I stopped tracking exactly what I ate. It's not something I plan on doing for ages, and I'm trying to still eat less and less junk but I just do not want to become so obsessed with weighing out even the amount of milk I put in my tea that I end up driving myself insane!

The calorie counting and possibly 5:2 will resume soon. Any tips for losing weight and getting healthier?!

Comments

  1. I started calorie counting when I needed to lose 2 stone, I found it helped to track what I ate as me and portion sizes (rather than unhealthy foods) were the main problem.

    Now I've lost the weight I don't count but I do try and make healthier / calorie conscious decisions without letting it rule my life. I have a range that I'm happy in terms of weight which is a half stone range, so as long as I'm not more than 1/2 stone heavier (this happens to correspond to fitting into my clothes rather than an arbitary target or range) than my lowest weight I'm cool with that.

    Making the right choices seems to be the thing that works for me, and not beating myself up when I choose the other stuff, but making sure that doesn't become a habit, that it's just a treat :)

    Good luck with that and the A to Z!

    Mars xx
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I resisted an ice cream, cake and greggs yesterday but then had fish and chips for tea...oops?! I will get there some day!
      Good luck with the A to Z to you too x

      Delete
  2. I lost four stone on Weight Watchers and the reason it worked is because I could give in to strange cravings as long as I didn't go over my points allowance (I found points much easier to track than calories). For example, if I wanted to eat cereal all day, that was fine. It meant I rarely craved anything because nothing was off-limits. It's not a perfect system and has its flaws but it worked for me. And I completely agree with the previous commenter about habits and treats: choosing to eat a biscuit doesn't make you gain weight, but eating an entire pack does, or eating biscuits everyday. I hope you find a way that works for you and makes you happy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered about weight watchers as a plan to follow, I followed slimming world for a while and that definitely worked I'm just not good at sticking to things for a long period of time. Well done on your weight loss! x

      Delete

Post a Comment