The 5:2 diet

There's so many different types of diets around that when it comes to losing weight it's difficult to know where to turn. You've got one diet telling you that low carbs is the way forward whereas other diets tell you not to limit your carbs. Essentially I feel like no-one really knows the perfect diet and there probably is not perfect diet - I believe diet is mostly down to an individual.

Since becoming a student I've put on a lot of weight, then lost it, then put it back on again. Living a fairly sedentary lifestyle where alcohol's empty calories are included frequently it's not difficult to see why. These teamed with occasionally not wanting to cook and the very close location of so many fast food chains I know where the weight has come from and I'd be silly to deny that fact.

Although Slimming world as a 'diet' worked really well for me when I have lost large amounts of weight, it's a lifestyle choice and that really doesn't fit very well with me still being a student right now. Instead I'm going to try out the 5:2 diet and take you guys along with me.

I was going to wait until after Christmas to start this but I feel that limiting how crazy I go with what I eat over Christmas is very important as it's not difficult to gain a lot of weight quickly - controlling that will hopefully mean it doesn't take me the whole of January to get back to where I am now!

For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about the 5:2 diet is an intermittent fasting diet. You eat normally (counting calories related to your BMR) five days a week and then for two days a week you only eat 500 calories. For me 500 calories is barely anything but I'm prepared to put some research in and see exactly what is possible for that.

I'm going to start calorie counting this week at some point but probably won't have a fast day until the week after as I feel this is going to need a lot of researching! Let me know if you have any tips and tricks!

Comments