Body image series - trying to be someone you're not

There will be a point in everyone's life where they will be made to feel uncomfortable about who they are. This often results in putting ourselves in positions we'd really rather not be in. Being made to feel uncomfortable no matter in how big or small way is horrible and really not something I believe we should be putting ourselves through.

Now I'm not talking about things like a job interview where although being uncomfortable comes with the territory it's unpleasant I mean times where you dress differently due to someone's influence or you feel you have to change the way you look or your opinions on something - it doesn't even have to be something you are hugely passionate about.

There have been times in my life where the people around me have influenced the way I dress, the way I have my hair, my make up even the music I listen to. Although as I'm getting older I am a lot more comfortable to make these decisions myself sometimes I feel myself influenced by others. It's a lot less frequent than years ago but I know I still do it and I'm aware of it too.

Most recently I was told something about my weight. It made me uncomfortable to be in my own skin and to be quite frank made me feel shit. Since that conversation I've changed the foods I've been eating and that's just not me. I know it's unhealthy to eat a lot of the things I do and I've known that for a long time. But to change something so significant about myself because of one comment got me thinking about how I'm influenced by others.

I am often quite confident about my size - however I have a lot of down times about it too. I am mostly happy or at least not unhappy about the size I am and for one comment to affect me so much is unlike me. I'm used to fat shaming, sadly it's a huge part of society.

What I'm trying to say in a really ramble-y way is that if you are happy how you are - or even if you aren't - people shouldn't make you change who you are. Be proud of the person you've developed into because there's nothing better than a confident happy person.

Comments