Life - it's all getting serious!

This week I'm back in Hull for my final year of university. This fact scares me an awful lot as I am still at a point in my life where I have no idea what I want to do. My main ambitions are to have a family of my own. However this isn't a career and it's not going to get me any money so until then I need to find a way to earn the pennies to provide for that family that I so want.

We've hardly had an lectures this week and everything properly kicks off next week but we did have a talk about careers advice. The short of it is I need to be applying for jobs now. This is really difficult when I don't know what I wanna do tomorrow let alone this time next year! (That's a slight lie..tomorrow I want to sleep a lot and get some dissertation work done)

I've made an appointment to see someone in the careers advice centre on Monday and asked if they can help me look at my CV. All steps in the right direction.. I'm also going to do some research into jobs I can do and try and find a few things I like the look of before my appointment. Growing up and not being a student anymore scares me so much sometimes I fear I may end up being a recluse and hiding in my mum and dad's house because I just cannot come to terms with it all.

Another big and scary thing that has happened this week is I had a meeting with my dissertation supervisor in which I was given an outline of the work to look through and I start on Wednesday. This means I have some serious reading and researching to do over the weekend and over the next few days. Starting my dissertation is a real reminder that this is it. I have 65% of my degree to do this year and that I need to keep on top of uni life as well as remembering that it's okay to have the odd time off, plus job searching and being on the committee for Biosciences society.

I've felt a little like I'm drowning for the past couple of days but I just need to remember that I'm stronger than I think and I can and will get through the year.

Comments