Body Image Series - Sex culture

There's a lot of issues I want to address in this post but sometimes when you feel so strongly it's difficult to turn anger into words that make sense.

Firstly. Sam Pepper. You probably know exactly what I'm talking about but just incase you don't. He is a youtuber who was on Big brother years ago. He uploaded a video onto youtube in which he pinched girls bums. Completely and utterly wrong. When it caused an outrage and the video was taken down he uploaded a second video. A female pinching males bums. Again, outrage. The difference between the first and second video? The second one now had a 2/3 present. The third video contained him talking about how abuse needs to be made a big thing of, that it's important and that people need to pay attention to. His main point was that when women were the victim there was a much bigger response than when men were and that both types of abuse are as serious as one another. All well and good and I totally agree with his main points of the video.. But it seems to me that the whole idea was thought up after his first video got him in so much trouble.

There are people now coming out about experiences they'd rather forget to prove that Sam Pepper isn't what he is making out. There's also emails being sent to other youtubers calling them c**ts and threatening them. Whether this is actually from his account or not it's totally disgusting.

Sexual abuse is very much a problem still. It's not just women who suffer from the abuse but I feel that we still live in a society where men are egged on to pinch a girls bum in a club or thrust at a girl and make her feel uncomfortable. No matter how much 'It was just a joke' or 'I didn't mean any harm' women are made to feel small, weak and uncomfortable due to this time of behaviour. I don't remember the last time I went on a night out and didn't see this occur to someone I was with or someone in the same club.

I've never considered myself a feminist before all of this but the whole series of events has made me very aware of the way I feel and just how strongly. It's an issue that massively needs changing right now and to me people are not being educated in a way for this to happen.




Comments