What the summer holidays mean to me

To some people a holiday is the best time of year. A time to relax, catch up with family, maybe get to read that book you've wanted to for ages and generally have some time off. However, as a student who is currently unemployed the summer holidays is somewhat a different experience.

Coming home is the first major change. I'm used to living with people my age, cooking for myself, washing my own clothes, doing what I want when I want and no-one interfering. Home is quite different to that. Living in a town where the public transport is rubbish means if I want to go anywhere I need to use the car. It's lovely to be able to drive when I am home but the freedom is definitely not the same, I can't exactly pop out at midnight to a friends!

Another very real difference is right now I have no money and it's a long time until I will. At the moment the first money I will have will probably be from my 21st birthday. This is not till mid September. For this reason I've put myself on a make up and skin care spending ban. If I manage to hold out until I return to university I'm going to treat myself to a couple of things from MAC that I've been looking at.

Putting myself on a spending ban however still doesn't solve the problem I have no money. Yes, I don't have to pay for food etc when at home but..I've still got to buy some things/do some things to keep me sane. Today I went into town and bought a couple of things I needed to last me the summer and had lunch out. This really was a luxury I can't afford at the moment but kind of feel like I'm suffering from locked in syndrome already!

Hope some of you have more enjoyable summers and next time you think students have it easy spare me a thought!

Comments